Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Business is to Create

"I will not reason or compare, my business is to create."
-William Blake

I find nothing more restful, more cathartic, more....effervescent than making something, or enjoying things other people have made. There is something beautiful about starting with scraps and ending with an object of appeal.

I've spent my afternoon at Starbucks, reading some, but mostly looking at blogs. My soul stirs when I do this, to see the human mind create something of such aesthetic allure with color, texture, and some hot glue. The point being nothing but the enjoyment of the finished project, the rest beauty can provide. And isn't that what it is?

Our human hearts rest in beauty. My sister has defined beauty before as, "something that draws you in." It's a transferable word. People find beauty in a myriad of areas; home decor, writing, music, quilts, nature, food, clothing, etc....but the point is, they find it. And when it's found, we cling to it. Our hearts yearn to be drawn in, for something to catch our eye.

My sister has been gnawing on this concept lately too, through a conversation with a friend, she came to this conclusion.

It is absolutely, positively, Godly to want to create, because God in essence is a creator.


I get a feeling when I look at something I, or someone else has made. The creativity, the endless possibilities the mind can come up with, resulting in appeal. I imagine that's what God felt like when He said, "it is good" in Genesis during the creation. Bleakness into roaring seas of rolling blue waves, emptiness into tall, bold, sturdy tress dressed with leaves and buds, dirt into a fleshy, soulful, passionate life.

It. Is. Good.

I have told my mom a million times over recently how much I want a house to decorate. My heart finds rest in creating a home from objects, knowing that is the place I am going to live, grow, build relationships, and rest for a time. I want that. I desire to create, to build, to fabricate. I think we all do, we just have been squelched in a society of pre-built, cookie cutter, easy basics.

May we be a people who finds rest in beauty and learns to enjoy it. May you find that place or thing or idea that excites you and may you pursue it. May we grow closer to God through creating and seeing the good in it. And may we not be doused by fear of criticism or inferiority, but grow in independence and the individuality of who Christ created us to be.

1 comment:

  1. couldn't have said it better. this is a beautiful work of art, this post. i love you sister and friend.

    ReplyDelete